The other day .. I did Falafel from scratch .. and according to my better half, they tasted better than the ones he used to buy from Abul Hul in Bahrain!

Now this is a tried recipe I got over the phone from my Saudi friend! Bon appetite everyone!

Ingredients: chick peas (dried hard ones in a bag); parsley; cilantro; cumin powder; salt; garlic; and onions

Preparation:
1. Soak the chickpeas in water overnight
2. Rinse and drain the soaked chickpeas
3. Grind the chickpeas with all the ingredients in a mixer
4. Add a teaspoon of salt and another teaspoon of cumin powder for each cup of chickpeas
5. I used four onions and a whole garlic for the bag of chickpeas

Once you grind everything together you will have a lot of green paste which you don't necessarily want to turn into Falafel immediately. So here comes some ingenuity. You divide the falafel paste into small portions in containers or bags and freeze them for another day.

For the falafel paste you want to prepare:
1. Heat a generous amount of oil in a frying pan
2. Round the falafel and brown on both sides

To eat:
1. Just bloody eat them
2. Remember some Tahine, Arabic bread and a salad on the side.

Bon Appetite!

5 comments:

Cerebralwaste said...

And when can I expect my shipment to arrive at my door?

SillyBahrainiGirl said...

Any time Mark! The weather is getting better..when can we expect you and the Mrs here?

Gardens of Sand said...

This is gonna sound incredibley lazy but can you subsititute the died chick peas with canned ones? Better yet, can you send me the frozen batch?!! :p

Cerebralwaste said...

I was hoping SBG that you and the Hubby would join me and my better half for some dinner down here sooner rather than later.

I am still not sure if I am allowed back in Canada or not!

SillyBahrainiGirl said...

LOL! CW... We sure will make it to Boston soon...

And Gardens.. You know the door is always open for you here! And no.. you can't substitute the dried peas with canned ones .. but you are more than welcome to join us for some falafel here!!

Post a Comment

Copyright © Silly Bahraini Girl